Corn oil better than extra virgin olive oil for cholesterol
By: Nasim 18 Feb 2014 (236)
corn oil significantly lowers cholesterol with more favorable changes in total cholesterol than extra virgin olive oil
Healthy for Life > Corn oil better than extra virgin olive oil for cholesterol (Health )
- Researchers have shown that corn oil significantly lowers cholesterol with more favorable changes in total cholesterol (TC) and LDL-C than extra virgin olive oil.
- The scientists were led by lead researcher, Dr. Kevin C Maki, PhD, of Biofortis, the clinical research arm of Merieux Nutri Sciences.
- Among the 54 healthy men and women in the feeding study, consumption of foods made with corn oil resulted in significantly lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and total cholesterol than the same foods made with extra virgin olive oil.
- Corn oil lowered LDL cholesterol by 10.9 percent compared to extra virgin olive oil’s 3.5 percent reduction1,2, and total cholesterol decreased by 8.2 percent with corn oil compared to 1.8 percent for extra virgin olive oil.
- Study participants received four tablespoons of corn oil or extra virgin olive oil in the foods provided every day, consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommendations. All foods were provided to the study participants as part of a weight maintenance diet.
- The randomized, double-blind, controlled crossover clinical trial assessed the effects of dietary oils on fasting lipoprotein lipids.
- The study compared the effects of corn and extra virgin olive oil on LDL cholesterol (primary outcome variable), total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol), Non-HDL cholesterol, Triglycerides and the total to HDL cholesterol ratio. Study participants had fasting LDL cholesterol =130 mg/dL and less than 200 mg/dL.
Image Source | Corn oil better than extra virgin olive oil for cholesterol
Disclaimer: The Cherry Share - Foodlve web and mobile content are contributions from The Cherry Share web or mobile users, and The Cherry Share and Foodlve are not responsible for copyrights, validity or any other issue related to the content or products, however would like to hear from you, by reporting any copyrights, validity or any other issue, please send email to email@example.com for this matter