Facts About Pears
By: Nasim 21 Sep 2013 (305)
They were given the nickname "butter fruit" in the 1700s because of their soft buttery texture
Facts About Food > Facts About Pears (Facts )
Pears are one of the world's favorite fruits and have been so for thousands of years. Here are interesting facts about pears that you may not have known.
- There are over 3000 varieties of pears grown around the world.
- Pears are native to Asia and Europe. The European pear originated in Southeast Asia and was first cultivated in Europe about 1000 B.C.
- Asian pears were cultivated in China as early as 1134 B.C.The Chinese considered the pear, which they call "li," to be a symbol of immortality. The destruction of a pear tree symbolized tragic or untimely death. In Chinese, fen li means both "to share a pear" and "to separate." Therefore, it is considered bad luck in China to share a pear because it may lead to separation of friends or lovers.
- Before tobacco was introduced in Europe, pear leaves were smoked.
- In the Odyssey, Homer called the pear a "gift from the Gods."The pear was sacred to two goddesses in Greek mythology - Hera and Aphrodite. It was also sacred to the corresponding Roman goddesses, Juno and Venus, as well as to Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruitfulness.
- They were given the nickname "butter fruit" in the 1700s because of their soft, buttery texture.
- Pears were used as a natural remedy against nausea in ancient Greece.
- Pear wood is used to make furniture, musical instruments, and wood carvings. It is also used to make wooden kitchen utensils because it doesn't impart any color or odor to the food and because it is tough enough to withstand repeated trips through the dishwasher without splintering or warping. Architect's rulers are made from pear wood because it doesn't warp.
- Pears are often recommended for weaning babies because they are low in acid and aren't too harsh on a baby's digestive system.
Image Source : http://www.lisahanda.com
Facts About Pears
The Cherry Share is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.